2019 Relay CX Preview
August 22, 2019
- IMPORTANT!!!! This year the Relay moves back to JACKSON PARK! If you show up at Warren Park there will be no race there.
- Most details are over on xXx Racing’s website here: xxxracing.org/relay-cross/
- As always, there’s some pretty darn good team names again this year: xxxracing.org/relay-cross/whos-registered
- Please remember to use the official hashtag #RelayCross so everyone can see our Chicagoland Relay CX in all its glory.
- Reg closes tonight at midnight and there are still spots available (but Coed is filling up fast…) at xxxracing.org/relay-cross. Please pre-reg!
- Weather for race day is looking beautiful, with temperatures in the mid-70s and cloud cover to reduce the heat. That said, please bring your own water/drinks and plenty of them. Do not drink the water from Lake Michigan.
- Did we already mention, we are be returning to our classic course in Jackson Park this year… DO NOT go to Warren Park.
- Parking: The CPD will not allow anyone to park in the boat ramp parking lot directly next to the course. You can drop off people and gear, but if you try to park there… YOU WILL BE TOWED! Let us repeat that… DO NOT PARK IN THE BOAT RAMP PARKING LOT right next to the course. Parking is available on the streets, the lot north of Hayes Dr., and the lot east of Lake Shore Drive.
- Also the parking lots around Jackson Park are metered, but only costs about $10 for the day. We don’t want anyone getting a ticket, so you’ve been forewarned. However, did we mention the boat ramp lot south of Hayes Drive and next to the course is off limits?
- Food: There will NOT be a food vendor for Relay CX this year, so in addition to fluids, please bring snacks if you want to hang out and watch the races. There are restaurants (McDonald’s) and markets nearby on Stony Island, but is just easier to bring your own food.
- Coffee: Blackstone Bikes isn’t far away if you want to visit, and Build Coffee right next door makes a great cappuccino.
- Please note the Chicago Triathlon will again be taking place along the Lakefront Path on Sunday morning. xXx and the CCC urge all CX’ers riding to Jackson Park to exercise extreme caution and courtesy when traveling along that route. If traveling by car, you should probably try another route besides LSD especially North of the city.
- Remember to reg for and donate to the Relay Roulette race – it’s cheap ($10!) and every $10 you donate beyond the reg fee will enter you into a raffle for great prizes, including a full fit session at Get a Grip bikes and other rad items. All proceeds will be donated to a local cycling-related charity chosen by the race winners.
- We don’t have a course map at this time, but its Relay CX. By all means be competitive, but let’s remember to have fun, enjoy each other’s company, maybe catch a crash on video and turn it into an Internet meme, and kick the Chicagoland CX season off on the right foot! See you Sunday.